Whisky glass types

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

When I first started with whisky, I always used one type of glass (the Glencairn wide-mouth glass). As I accumulated a few glasses from shows, I discovered that I enjoyed collecting different types of glasses. I use all of them at various times; for me it is just another way to vary the whisky experience. However, I can also see why many connoisseurs prefer to always use a single type of glass to provide a standard frame of reference for comparing different whiskies.

How many different types of glass do you use and under what circumstances? 

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    hwchoy liked that
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@Carlton

I have 3 glencairn,  that I used often. Nice design but not too much good for whisky tasting.  My opinion is that the neck its too narrow. Difficult to put the nose in.  With the oil of the hands,  the glass becomes dirty very soon and cannot see the whisky well. The base is not big enough and the glass can fall easy. 

I also have old fashioned whisky cilindric glasses for when is hot in Spain and some ice is an option to enjoy and chill.

I bought a Riedel nosing whisky cup for more than 20€... A bad decision. Due to its high price I never use because I dont want to broke it.

If one day Horst starts to buy his nosing cups,  sure I would get at least 2 of them. I like them very much. 

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@DaFin

Glencairns aren't my favorite either. I also have one of the Riedel single malt glasses, which I think is a good glass (reviews for it are generally poor). I too would be interested in a couple of Horst's glasses. If I remember correctly, I thought he stated in the vlog that the glass would be made available for mail order outside Germany in 2017.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 19 2017 at 7:31AM
    Options

@Carlton

I prefer Glencairns. I like how the small aperture of the opening allows me to control just how much aroma I want to inhale.

I also occasionally use a miniature snifter because its thick glass makes it a sturdier option.

A sherry copita with the same characteristics (where the bowl is considerably wider than the rim) would also suffice, but those are typically expensive.

Horst's bespoke glassware would also fit the bill nicely; the ratio of bowl width to rim width is even greater than that of a Glencairn.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I have glencarins and brandy snifters and I try to accentuate the inherent advantages of the glasses.  For instance, the glencarin has a narrower nose and typically holds less liquid than the snifter.  So, I'll    use the glencarins for "intense" whiskies (smoky or high abv's) 

Older/mellow scotches with abv's in the 40's will typically go in the snifter.

• Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@Carlton ;

I try to stick to one type of glass, so that the experience of the whisky is the only one that changes from time to time. 

I use my Glencairn Copita Nosing glass. 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I thought long about the right whisky glass. In the end I did not find a glass, which satisfied all my wishes. 

So we decided to built our own, which you can see in the newer videos. A small glassworks made them for us. But quality was unstable and we had to stop the production.

Over the summer we will have new ones made in bigger quantities. Hopefully we find a way to ship them to members of this forum.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

ah I see what you are trying to do Horst, the glencairn shape with the wine stalk and base very cool

Mathis liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@horst_s ;

I would love to buy a glass, and so would a large quantity of you audience as well I'm sure. 

Good luck with the produktion. 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

In a recent tasting my friend brought along his new Norlan glasses. this is a most intriguing glass featuring a double glass wall enclosing a vacuum. You can read about it here: https://norlanglass.uk

We tasted three drams in this glass: Compass Box Hedonism, Bowmore 10 yo Inspired by the Devil's Cask series, and the Bowmore Dark Rock, accompanied by @horst_s on Youtube :lol:

Like:

1. flaring lip allows the alcohol to escape rather than hitting you in the nose, you can nose much more deeply. I can compare the Hedonism in this vs the Glencairn, and the nosing performance with the Norlan is superior. Whether any other wonderful aroma also escaped with the alcohol I cannot be sure.

Dislike:

1. the double wall construction causes a thick lip which makes sipping a strange feeling, like trying to drink with your mouth open.

2. the lack of any stem whatsoever actually gets in the way of appreciating the colour.

3. the glass also has a strange property of cooling down the dram. when sipping the whisky is distinctly colder than the ambient temperature (note I am drinking it in the tropics where ambient is 27C). I can't be sure if I like this or not, its just weird for now.

anyone else tried it?

mattborden liked that
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

hwchoy said:

In a recent tasting my friend brought along his new Norlan glasses. this is a most intriguing glass featuring a double glass wall enclosing a vacuum. You can read about it here: https://norlanglass.uk

We tasted three drams in this glass: Compass Box Hedonism, Bowmore 10 yo Inspired by the Devil's Cask series, and the Bowmore Dark Rock, accompanied by @horst_s on Youtube :lol:

Like:

1. flaring lip allows the alcohol to escape rather than hitting you in the nose, you can nose much more deeply. I can compare the Hedonism in this vs the Glencairn, and the nosing performance with the Norlan is superior. Whether any other wonderful aroma also escaped with the alcohol I cannot be sure.

Dislike:

1. the double wall construction causes a thick lip which makes sipping a strange feeling, like trying to drink with your mouth open.

2. the lack of any stem whatsoever actually gets in the way of appreciating the colour.

3. the glass also has a strange property of cooling down the dram. when sipping the whisky is distinctly colder than the ambient temperature (note I am drinking it in the tropics where ambient is 27C). I can't be sure if I like this or not, its just weird for now.

anyone else tried it?

I almost bought one, but decided against it (mainly because I already have too many different kinds of glasses. :smile:). Based on the shape, it would seem to be a good glass, but I see what you mean about the thick rim; that would be a bit awkward.