Rating whisky

• hriveran
    Topic creator

Regarding Horst's newsletter that arrived today, sometimes I've been in a store where there's a brand new to me or with a big discount and I want to know if it is worth the expense. In those moments I sometimes turn to my cellphone to check some reviewer's rating because I don't have the time to search and watch whisky.com videos (or I think is not appropriate to do it in the store). But, overall, I like Horst not giving scores or stars. I prefer to listen to Horst's opinions but, especially to grab the more subtle cues he offers while tasting a dram.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hriveran
    I use whisky.com ratings by the users to get a feeling of how good the whisky is. As several reviewers who give ratings are a bit strange for me.

But I also like that Horst doesn't give any ratings but describes his opinions in words makes it so much better. To give ratings  I think that would take something out of the review.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@bedlamborn

@hriveran

I agree. To me, good reviewers do not really need to use ratings. By the time you finish reading or watching their reviews, you already have a good idea of how they feel about the whisky.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thx a lot for the praise. The ratings in our whisky-database are on one side an average. With all goods and bads about it. If you are able to position yourself against the average taste, then you can read a lot out of those averages.

If you prefer a more individualistic approach, then you can read the verbal comments of individual raters. Look at the comments to bottles you know well and note the names of the users you agree with most. Following these users will give you good ideas which whiskies to try next.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Suzanne1967 liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@horst_s
    The ratings system at whisky.com has helped me several times. Once when looking at Jura 10yo as I saw that people rated Jura wildly different. From the worst to the best so I bought a small bottle to try it out. And the second time Glenlivet 12yo was also rating were wildly split between good and bad so I tried it at a bar instead of buying a bottle.