Any information on this just found whisky

• jerry6
    Topic creator

It is from the 1920 - 1940 era  , never been opened , is it safe to drink ?

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited January 14 2017 at 12:32AM
    Options
    @jerry6

that is currently a Diageo brand, I would first check the value before opening it (though I wouldn't get too excited as blends are not nearly as collectible as single malts) and my concern then would be the integrity of the cork, but drinking should be fine if the seal was good, in fact it should be quite good as there will be a healthy dose of Lagavulin in this blend...heck didn't some divers recently salvage champagne from the 17th century in an old wreck and it was still good?

• jerry6
    Topic creator
    Options

@Shmotch
    Thanks , not worried about value as not sure where Id sell it . The level is good so not much has evaporated , bottom of neck fluid level .

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

As long as there is enough ethanol in the bottle it will be secure against turning bad.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Walter_C_Hurst Member Walter_C_Hurst Joined: 23.10.2017Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@jerry6 

Based on the structure of the Royal Warrant, and the Series "EB" it looks like you have a 1941-42 bottle there ! :-)

Your bottle is quite likely safe to drink as long as the contents remain above the shoulder level...

The long term effect of having too much air in your bottle over an extended period can cause the whisky inside to "oxidize", creating a rather unpalatable taste: Your bottle looks fine however, and 

would be of interest to collectors also.

Cheers,

Walter C Hurst

wchurst@hotmail.com

• jerry6
    Topic creator
    Options

@Walter_C_Hurst 

Thanks , would this just affect taste or be a danger to drink ? I've tasted a few from the early 50's and early 60's , they were really nice , one was Around the World Kings Ransom , might have been from an earlier period and it was probably the best tasting whisky I've ever tried .  It was so smooth , wish I had more ..