Looking for the quintessential caramel/vanilla easy drinking dram?

• Tyler-Canada
    Topic creator

Hey there, one of my best friends (a fellow whisky enthusiast) has an upcoming birthday. We always exchange bottles (thank God!) and I've noticed that he seems to be a big fan of the sweet bodied (or at least easy drinking) caramel/vanilla Scotch whiskies we've had; I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards something new we may have not tried. He hasn't had more than a dozen SM whiskies if I were to venture a guess, we're both Scotch lovers but his interests aren't necessarily super exotic. For example, we both just had Glenlivet 15 and he LOVED it. Any help would be awesome. I bought him a Lagavulin 16 last year and while I'm sure he loved its smokiness, I think I can find something that's a better fit. I'm getting him something else as well, this is just the icing on the cake. Sláinte! 

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Tyler-Canada

Balvenie 12 Year Old Single Barrel would be a good choice. It is aged in a first-fill, ex-bourbon barrel.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Tyler-Canada
    Balblair vintage 2005 could be good also. It is stored in Bourbon barrels. And maybe you could use the whisky database search function to find what you are looking for.

Tyler-Canada liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Tyler-Canada

Glenmorangie nectar d'or, if you or your friend haven't had it.

1) It's not too exotic (affordable, easy to find)
    2) It's sweet (finished in sauternes casks, which is a very sweet white wine)
    3) It's smooth (typical of most Glenmorangie expressions due to their tall pot stills)
    4) It comes in a pretty nice presentation box (great for gifts)

Also, Glenmorangie matures their whiskies that are 10 years or older (Nectar d'or is 12) in only first or second fill casks (https://www.glenmorangie.com/en/experiences#tasting-masterclass), so you'll still get the vanilla/caramel flavor from the American Oak, which again, is more smooth and mellow than more intense European Oak.

Tyler-Canada liked that
  • Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited January 6 2017 at 11:50PM
    Options
    @Tyler-Canada

The following I would recommend and are ex bourbon cask whiskies (for the most part ) with those flavor notes and are not peated or in HP case overly peated,  not Sherry bombs and under $100; Highland Park 12, Clynelish 14 and Old Pulteney 12 especially

Tyler-Canada liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

Kavalan has a single cask Solist expression in ex-Bourbon casks, and Glenfiddich Age of Discovery series also has a 19 year bourbon cask finish. 

Tyler-Canada liked that
  • Tyler-Canada
    Topic creator
    Options

Thank you everyone for the great tips. I of course am a huge peated whisky man so I always go for those :smile: I will explore the tool and look into some of your excellent suggestions! Just in case he somehow stumbles in here I won't say where I'm leaning but I think I have a good idea now what I'll get!