What's Next on the Chopping Block?

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0

With all of the recent changes in bourbon, such as the loss of age statements, price increases, and product discontinuations, what bourbon(s) do you expect to be similarly impacted in the near future?

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

That's a good question. I am betting that the following might be losing their age statements:

Eagle Rare 10 Year Old - I can't see how Sazerac can continue to put only 10-year-old bourbon in this bottling and still sell it for only $35.

Knob Creek Single Barrel 9 Year Old - If dropping the age statement from the standard, small batch Knob Creek doesn't hurt sales, Beam might decide to drop the age statement from the single barrel as well. 

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 19 2017 at 7:38AM
    Options
    @Carlton

I'm really worried about Henry McKenna Single Barrel. Not only is it single barrel and bottled-in-bond, but it also boasts a ten year age statement -- all for $30. Surely, Heaven Hill has to be reconsidering their strategy on that whiskey. Luckily, I was able to stash a few bottles of it away should that actually happen.

Speaking of stashing whiskey, I was farsighted enough to stockpile several bottles of Fighting Cock 6 year, a few bottles of Elijah Craig 12 year and Knob Creek 9 year (Small Batch), and one bottle of Jim Beam Black 8 year. I wouldn't buy any of these bourbons in their current NAS form.

In addition, I have a few bottles of Eagle Rare 10 year and one bottle of Knob Creek 9 year (Single Barrel) set aside just in case.

As far as discontinuations go, I'm storing a few bottles of Old Grand-Dad 114 too.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

Good point about the Henry McKenna. It belongs on the endangered species list too. Given what you have stockpiled, you are in pretty good shape to weather the NAS storm for a while.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)