Anyone expecting a special whisky from Santa?

2»
  • Tyler-Canada Member Joined: 20.12.2016Posts: 8Ratings: 0
    Options

@kroman Thanks for the tip! I saw Mrs. Claus hide a few things in the basement yesterday so we'll see in a few days. I'll research and exchange if TW comes more favourable.

On a side note, I wanted to mention that I think being a whisky enthusiast has greatly; shall I say "curbed" any alcoholism for me. I'm young (enough - 35) and used to drink socially ...well, a lot. Now I have a couple drams a week if that. Of course I still enjoy a beer here or there but a bottle of good whisky I can actually have for over a year... I  only wish we could get some of the amazing options out there in Canada. We have a great selection, but miss out on a lot.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Tyler-Canada

@kroman ...being a whisky enthusiast has greatly; shall I say "curbed" any alcoholism for me. I'm young (enough - 35) and used to drink socially ...well, a lot. Now I have a couple drams a week if that. 

I'm the same age as you and I agree with you completely!  I might have a beer when I'm out with my friends at the bar, but then I'll just nurse a Johnnie Walker Black, for example.  By the way, I'm not much of a beer guy, but enjoying quality whisky has helped me appreciate quality beer as well.  I'd rather enjoy a nice micro-brew stout than just pound cheap Coors!

When I'm home, I'll have a dram at 2100 on my nights off.  It will last me until about 2200 or so and then I'll start to get ready for bed.  As cliche as it sounds, enjoying a good whisky really helps with the "quality over quantity" outlook on alcohol.

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Tyler-Canada

@kroman

I agree with you guys. I usually have a dram nightly, but it is a modest amount that I savor over an hour or so while reading a good book before bed. Its ironic, isn't it, that whisky has a bit of a stigma attached to it by some folks in the US and also that some states make it more difficult to purchase whisky (and other spirits) than beer or wine. Surely it can be abused, but I think that whisky fosters feelings of appreciation and respect that are missing from other alcoholic beverages that can't match its provenance and tradition.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Tyler-Canada Member Joined: 20.12.2016Posts: 8Ratings: 0
    Options

Figured I had better check in. Santa brought me a Glenlivet 15 (which I've thoroughly enjoyed a time or two!) and Old Pulteney 12. A very merry Christmas!

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Tyler-Canada

When I decided to buy myself a Glenlivet 18 for my birthday, that got my wife off the hook for a Christmas bottle. :lol:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    Tyler-Canada liked that
  • jack12 Member Joined: 29.12.2016Posts: 7CollectionwhiskyRatings: 0
    Options

I bought myself a bottle of four roses single barrel bourbon, which I had been eyeing for a long time. My wife frowns on my whisky collection, but hey, you only live once, drink what you enjoy, and enjoy what you drink.

• Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

@hwchoy as already mentioned - it does lack a bit of character. It's very light and floral. I usually prefer richer whiskies with a heavier body, but I enjoyed the IPA nonetheless and it's always good to have a variety in your collection.

hwchoy liked that
2»