Anyone expecting a special whisky from Santa?

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

I made my wife a list of some whiskies I would like to have, but she probably won't get me any because I already have so many. :frown:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    hwchoyjack122 liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@CarltonMy wife won't get me any because she just doesn't like me drinking.  She's extremely black and white and doesn't understand any of it.  In her eyes, I'm just drinking whisky, and "that's what alcoholics do."  But there is more to it then just that; it's the look, nose, savoring and appreciation of the whole process.  Taking 45 min to an hour of enjoying 1.5 oz of scotch a few times a week is FAR from alcoholism.

However, I asked for a bowmore 15 year darkest just in case!!! 

hwchoy liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton
    None for me as my GF only buy beer and I don't drink beer. So I bought something for me instead. A Balblair single cask from 1997.

[Deleted User] liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@kroman

my sympathies :smiley: 

I got myself a new wife who drinks cognac and rum. 

• [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 19 2017 at 7:16AM
    Options
    @Carlton

Anything that I'd get for Christmas would have to be bought by me; that would hardly qualify it as a "special" gift.

I guess I could wrap the bottle, dress up as Santa Claus, and leave it as a present for myself under the tree (there's no way I'm doing that).

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options
    @Carlton
    None for me as my GF only buy beer and I don't drink beer. So I bought something for me instead. A Balblair single cask from 1997.

You have inspired me. Today is my birthday, so I went out and bought a bottle of Glenlivet 18. :horst:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

I've already received a Bushmills 10 and the new Glenfiddich IPA Experimental Cask  :biggrin:

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chappers

hope to hear how you like the Glenfiddich IPA

• SlĂ inte_Mhath Guest, Member SlĂ inte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@hwchoy

I tried both Glenfiddich IPA and Project XX in a tasting session with a Grant's brand ambassador - and to make a long story short, it was rather disappointing. Having a Glenfiddich at more than 40% ABV sounds promising, but the whisky itself is lacking character and a clear flavor profile.

My favorite Glenfiddich remains the 15yr Solera, despite the low 40% ABV.

“That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by SlĂ inte Mhath <<<

hwchoy liked that
  • Tyler-Canada Member Joined: 20.12.2016Posts: 8Ratings: 0
    Options

I gave my wife a short list, not expecting them all but I was a good boy this year so hopefully Santa remembers :-)
    My latest Old Pulteney 12 year is just about gone and I can't get enough of it so that's on the list. Lagavulin 8 is on there since it's limited and I don't think it'll be on the shelves forever (Have enjoyed the 16 on many occasions). Laphoraig QC is on the list (I've only had the 10 year and truth be told it was a little strong for me but I still want to try the QC since it comes with such a good reputation) Lastly I put Glenfiddich 14 (Rich Oak) on there to round out the list. Haven't heard anything about that one but considering Glenfiddich is such a big brand, surprisingly, their products  have always been consistently very good.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Tyler-Canada   ;
    I think an even safer bet for you, besides the Laphroaig quarter cask, is their triple wood; my personal favorite Laphroaig expression.  It's like the QC, except they put a final finish in sherry casks.