FAQ: Different Barley

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

For example Bruichladdich uses local Islay barley when making the Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2009 and the use the varieties Publican and Oxbridge. I know that Macallan like to use the variety Golden Promise when making whisky.

So my question is. How much does the barley varieties influence the whisky? And also where the barley has been grown how does it influence the whisky such as Islay grown barley.

Because there is not much that I can try to find a difference. Only Bruichladdich and Kilchoman has local grow barley from what I know.

Thanks for a very good video log.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn
    I tried several of these bottle with named barleys. Yes, there are some differences. But I think these differences are smaller than the influence of the stills, the yeast, or the timings in the distilling procedure. And of course much more less influencing than the casks.

But these different barleys give the distilleries a chance to slightly change the style of their brands and give some variety to the customer.

On the other hand local sourcing is always good to give small companies or individual farmers the chance to sell directly and avoid discount prices by the big industrial buyers.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@horst_s
    Thanks for the answer. I had completely that making Whisky using local sourced barley also helps the local farmers which is nice.