Scotland trip tomorrow :)

2»
  • Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Guest, Member Suzanne1967
    Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    Options

@andyb01

Hi Andy,

Edradour make some lovely Whisky, and their tour is a good one to do - we did it in June 2015, but from November until March they dont do tours - which we knew when we planned to visit - so it was a visit to their shop... worth it in itself as they have a good selection of their own and Signatory Vintage bottlings of other Whiskys. Unfortnately they were not offering any samples when we called in, and as we already have 5 bottles of Edradour we decided not to buy any more that day... If they had offered us a taste of something special we would have bought, I had budgeted that we were going to spend a reasonable amount with them, but not to worry, we spent it elsewhere instead :smile:

I am sure we will return their again, it is such a stunning spot, and they are normally very friendly.

As to visiting 'that many', lol, it has become a lovely way to spend our holidays, we went to Dumfries in May 2015, Speyside in June 2015, Islay in June 2016 and Loch Leven in November this year, so far we have managed to visit most of the Distilleries that are 'open' to visiting, and although we have not done the tour in every single one, we have done a large proportion of them...... Only Highland Park, Scapa, Old Pultney and those on the Outer Hebrides are really left to do now.... which will be next year :smile:

andyb01 liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@Suzanne1967
    Sounds like you had some excellent trips! Me and my wife are planning to visit Scotland next year, probably starting with Islay/Jura plus Auchentoshan and Springbank. There's so much to explore. Did you rent a car or how did you solve the problem of 'driving and drinking'?

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

Suzanne1967 liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

There are several ways of solving the enjoying of whisky and not driving. One is to take a bus-tour. There are several around such as Rabbies Islay tour. And also on Islay one can take a bus and walk between the distilleries.

Suzanne1967 liked that
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@Suzanne1967 aw excellent sounds like you guys had a blast

Suzanne1967 liked that
  • Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
  • Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath We live in the UK, so drive up to Scotland - I am used to long distance driving with work - and then get a ferry where needed. It does mean we add a fair mileage onto the car, but it is a small price to pay for independence... if we were flying in then we would definitely be booking taxi's or using the bus - which on Islay is very good indeed.

As to drink driving, Hubby gets to taste, I get drivers drams and taste at the hotel or cottage when we get back.... I nose the glass hubby has and may just take a tiny sip on those we are considering buying, but then it means a wait of at least an hour before driving.

If doing Islay / Jura / Campbeltown / Auchentoshan then I would also say try Glengoyne - only about 20 mins from Auchentoshan - and if you can Arran, which is also very good.

I hope you have a great trip, we will look forwards to hearing about it on the forum, perhaps we may bump into you - depending on the dates - although I don't think we are going back to Islay this year, still got a lot of Islay whisky :smile: