What is this taste?

2»
  • thommes
    Topic creator
    Joined: 27.10.2016Posts: 20Collectionthommess CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@Carlton

Thanks for that info. I looked up European oak. I was thinking European oak was simply red or white oak grown in a european country. Wow. A different species. Will have to keep my eye out for the a single that was matured in european oak. 

It could be something specific to Speyburn, but I'm confident my palate had the same taste in it as well. I'll try another taste of Speyburn eventually. Who knows I could learn to appreciate the taste. 

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options
    thommes said:

Will have to keep my eye out for the a single that was matured in european oak.

Both Glenfarclas and Glendronach are excellent options for Single Malts matured exclusively in European (sherry) casks.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• thommes
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

I'm willing to agree with anything until I find out what's causing the taste. Would you happen to know of another scotch that might be aged in older casks? I'd be willing to sacrifice my palate by tasting another new scotch.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@thommes

Try Old Pulteney 12, Oban 14 or Cragganmore 12. None of these are necessarily using bad/old casks - but I found them rather dry. Personally, I did not really like them due to cask influence (bitter/dry). However, I must stress that this is just an opinion, and especially Old Pulteney is hightly recommended by many malt mates. If you recognize your 'white wine dryness' with any of these malts, you might be closer to solve your problem.

Slàinte!

• thommes
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Now we're talking! I've been watching a lot of vlogs and these three to me seemed to say honest to goodness true scotches. Not really made for mass market and taking over the world, but a scotch made to be appreciated. I'll see if I can find one of these this coming week. 

• thommes
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

I just saw Old Pulteney at the market yesterday. I got the Highland Park this time first since I wanted to get something I might like rather than something I was testing to see if I didn't like. LOL. I have seen several people recommend the Pulteney as well so it may be next on the list.

Options

@thommes
    Good luck with your malt journey! Keep us updated if you find out more on your white wine issues! HP12 is certainly a good dram and I hope you enjoy it.