Well, I came up with a small question after watching the tasting video by Master Luening

• X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Joined: 15.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionX_d's CollectionRatings: 56

I have just watched several tasting video. And after I have watched the glenfarclas series. A question came up in my mind.

Master Luening @horst_s have said that he have to avoid the introductory whiskies like Glenfarclas 10Y and 12Y. But he haven't explained further about why they should be avoid.

Also, he mentioned that for the Glenfarclas 10Y, 12Y, 105, etc. their bottles are clear, un-colored bottles. And he didnt explain that either.

So any masters and whisky lovers can share your knowledge with those questions? Thanks!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Yes, I find the standard Glenfaclas (10+12y) a little rush. They are a little bit too sharp in taste for my personal feeling. And Glenfaclas decided to split their range into the uncolored bottles and the brown bottles. Perhaps this influences my feeling as well.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Joined: 15.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionX_d's CollectionRatings: 56
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    Yes, I find the standard Glenfaclas (10+12y) a little rush. They are a little bit too sharp in taste for my personal feeling. And Glenfaclas decided to split their range into the uncolored bottles and the brown bottles. Perhaps this influences my feeling as well.

Ahhhh! Very appreciate for your reply. And I have just saw some bottles also in brown color, which are the Glenfarclas Team, Spring and Passion, those are comparably low in price. So I am thinking about buying one of them or save money for glenfarclas 21y. And there is no description about them in this forum. Have you or anyone tasted any of them?

Thx again.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

i actually have an open Glenfarcles 12 in my cabinet. While not the best sipping whisky in the world, I've found it to be a great "multi-purpose" scotch.

I'll put some in my hot tea with honey, an orange slice and cinnamon sticks as a hot toddy if I have a cold or sore throat. I'll also use it as a foundation for making my own blends: two parts Glenfarclas, one part Bunnahabhain/Lagavulin. etc. This helps mellow out the glenfarclas, while adding some extra complexity as well. The twelve year is, to me, thick and malty and seems to take well to a splash or two of more complex whiskies. Plus, it makes for a fun way to experiment without wasting too much of the "good stuff" if the combinations don't work out just right!