Buying Talisker

• pasvraiment
    Topic creator
    Member pasvraiment
    Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0

Hello,
    I will get an opportunity to buy some new Talisker products. I already buy a lot of Talisker 10, which is one of my favorite with Laga16.

I will for sure buy 1 bottle of Storm and 1 of Distiller Edition. Knowing I love the 10, should I buy more than one (they might not be available for a long time)?

Also, is the Talisker 18 worth the detour or does it loose its pepper?

Thanks!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

One of my personal best whiskies is the Talisker Distillers Edition. They are not always available, but there is a new bottling every year. There are differences between the vintages but in average the taste stays the same. There is no hurry to buy two just now.

The Talisker Storm is a younger expression. There are plenty of casks waiting to be bottled. If you are looking for the Dark Storm, which compares better with the Distillers Edition, then it might be difficult.

The 18yrs is quite expensive for the taste you get. It shows age and complexity but has lost the very intense flavours Talisker stands for. The supply fot the 18yrs is also very low.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    pasvraiment liked that
  • SavageHenry Member SavageHenry Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionAll the whiskies in IraqRatings: 3
    Options

There's also a case to made for saying if you like the Talisker 10 that much (as do I), you could just stick with buying that. The aging process does not always lead to a better whisky.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I've got to agree with Horst. The distiller's edition is one of the best scotches I've had; I'd take it over Lagavulin 16 any day. As a matter of fact, last week I added a splash of the Distillers Edition to the laga 16 for a unique kind of homemade blend!

• pasvraiment
    Topic creator
    Member pasvraiment
    Options

Finally tasted side by side the 10, Storm and the DE.
    In Québec, there is a 25% price bump between the 10 and Storm and a 20% price bump between Storm and the DE. Still happy with the Storm (bought 2) and DE (bought 3). Will probably bring back the second Storm, the 10 is 20$ cheaper, but I will probably keep the DEs. Thank you for the info.

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Go for the Distillers Edition first. It is really one of the greatest malts ever.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    pasvraiment liked that
  • pasvraiment
    Topic creator
    Member pasvraiment
    Options

Trip to the USA. I also got a dutyfree dark storm and 2 18 years. Wow. Talisker and Lagavulin are easily my 2 favorite distilleries. Thinking of bringing back a third 18.

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

I'm extremely happy with my talisker 10 bottle. It worth every 37€ I paid for it.
    Last weekend I taste it glass by glass with Lagavulin 16 and Talisker won.

I hope that I can move to more sophisticated Talisker (maybe DE ¿?) in the next months.

Enjoy those bottles, pasvraiment.