Thinking about buying a whisky

• NorenS
    Topic creator

I'm thinking about buying myself a single malt, but I'm completely stumped on what to get. I'm relatively new to scotch whisky - the only bottles I've tried have been Finlaggan Old Reserve, Highland Park 12, and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I've loved every single one.

Here are some of the options I'm considering:
    Ardbeg 10 - $100
    Glenfarclas 17 - $115
    Springbank 10 - $100

Any help is appreciated!:biggrin:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The prices are quite steep. I hope they are not in US$.

All three are wonderfull whiskies. Please note that the Springbank is slightly peaty and the Ardbeg has a distinct smoky note.

I think those three are all worth a try and I would make my decision depended on the amount of desired smoke.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • NorenS
    Topic creator
    , edited March 7 2016 at 10:14AM
    Options

Thank you for the reply Horst! I'm unfortunately in Canada where prices for whisky are utterly terrible. :frown:

I think I'll go for the Springbank based on the slight peat you say it has. Very excited to try it!

• pasvraiment Member pasvraiment Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Yes.. Canadian prices...
    Why start with 100$ scotch? HP12, Bunna12... All near 80$ and good introduction. Ardeg10 for a first scotch seems intense. Glenfarclas, why not the 12 ou 15? Just saying.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options
    "pasvraiment" wrote:
    Yes.. Canadian prices...
    Why start with 100$ scotch? HP12, Bunna12... All near 80$ and good introduction. Ardeg10 for a first scotch seems intense. Glenfarclas, why not the 12 ou 15? Just saying.

Another agreement with you, man! Bunnahabhain 12 yr is, in my opinion, the best value for your money you can buy. However, I though for some reason that Glenfarclas 12 is US only. That being said, I was a little let down with this one; I'd be really curious to try the 17 year...

Ardbeg 10 was my first scotch purchase, and I regret it. It took me a long time to appreciate smokey whisky after that! If you want to ease your way into smoke, I'd also recommend Benromach 10 year; good combination of a little sherry and peat smoke.

• NorenS
    Topic creator
    Options
    "pasvraiment" wrote:
    Yes.. Canadian prices...

Good questions! I was looking to treat myself and had already tried HP 12. Bunnahabhain 12 is $100 where I am. Glenfarclas 17 was on sale and more to my taste profile than the 12 (which is $90 for me).

pasvraiment liked that
  • NorenS
    Topic creator
    , edited May 17 2016 at 4:46AM
    Options
    "kroman" wrote:
    Ardbeg 10 was my first scotch purchase, and I regret it. It took me a long time to appreciate smokey whisky after that! If you want to ease your way into smoke, I'd also recommend Benromach 10 year; good combination of a little sherry and peat smoke.

Cool recommendation! A little sherry and peat smoke sounds like a great profile