Islay's Whiskeys vs American's

• luminimattia
    Topic creator
    Member luminimattia

Hi I'm an italian whisky passionate :smile:
    I drink almost all whiskeys from ISLAY's companies, I really like the deep taste
    Lagavullin and Laphroigh are my favs... I'd like to taste some American Whisky or some Bourbons ... could you tell me something similar to my tastes?
    Thanks

Lumini Mattia | Digital Artist www.luminimattia.com
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Last year I have been to America and to Islay and visited nearly all the distilleries there were. The aroma profile are very different.
    Islay has a lot of peaty smokiness with sometimes fruity sherry influences.
    American whiskey is usually sweet with vanilla and caramel. If you do get fruits you get pear, bannana or other tropical fruits. This is the Bourbon side of Whiskey!
    But there is a totally different type of American whiskey: The Rye Whiskey. Its not made of majority corn, but Rye. Rye is much rougher and spicier than corn, wheat and barley. This would be the closest to Isley malts.
    So my advice would be to try a Knob Creek Rye, Woodford Reserve Rye or a George Dickel Rye.

I work for whisky.com
    luminimattia liked that
  • luminimattia
    Topic creator
    Member luminimattia
    Options

Really thanks for this complete explanation... I'm going to buy & try
    Where can I buy online?

Lumini Mattia | Digital Artist www.luminimattia.com
  • schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    , edited January 12 2016 at 2:49PM
    Options
    "luminimattia" wrote:
    I drink almost all whiskeys from ISLAY's companies . . . Lagavullin and Laphroigh are my favs... I'd like to taste some American Whisky or some Bourbons ... could you tell me something similar to my tastes?

Many, if not most, of the Islay malts are loaded with phenols and meta-cresols. That's why they are peaty and (some would say) medicinal. There are very few New World whiskies that have those traits.

However, two smoky whiskies come immediately to mind, although neither of them are "peaty" like Lagavulin, Lafroaig, Ardbeg, etc. One is Corsair Triple Smoke Single Barrel. The other is Bowen's Small Batch Handcrafted American Whiskey.

The first one uses three different malts that were roasted over three different wood fires. The second one is aged in barrels made of oak wood that was reclaimed from a forest fire in the mountains of California.

That is the extent of my personal American-whiskey knowledge regarding recipes that are smoky. For what it's worth, I liked both of those whiskies VERY much.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Do these distilleries have a website?

I work for whisky.com
  • schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    "ben" wrote:
    Do these distilleries have a website?

Corsair Web Site

Bowen's Whiskey Web Site
    Options

Thanks. Now I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't visit them in TN. I was driving right past Nashville.

I work for whisky.com