Glue

• schnazola
    Topic creator
    Guest, Member schnazola
    Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4

I watched a few dozen of Horsts's tasting videoes, and in a few of them he mentioned detecting notes of glue on the aroma. He obviously considered it a flaw. I think in one of them he even said he tasted glue. This really intrigues me.

Even more intriguing is Horst said he associates these glue notes mostly with Bourbons!!! He said he thinks it's attributable to, perhaps, too much time in barrel.

Does anyone know what he means by glue? What kind of glue are we talking about? White/wood/paper glue, like Elmer's Glue? Or is he talking about something nastier, like modeler's glue, the kind you would use to build polystyrene model airplanes?

I was tempted to message Horst, himself, but figured I would post here, first.

Thoughts?

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

As far as I know it's a solvent smell that he refers to. It's very much a point of taste and sensitivity whether it's a flaw or a bonus. I don't mind it, but I'm not very sensitive to it - many bourbons that some say reek of glue, I can barely detect it and find the whisk(e)y quite enjoyable.

schnazola liked that
  • schnazola
    Topic creator
    Guest, Member schnazola
    Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    "Heidjer" wrote:
    As far as I know it's a solvent smell that he refers to.

Thanks for commenting, Heidjer.

I recently had a High West Double rye (part of the blend is 16yo) that has an odd note on the nose. For the life of me I could not identify it. It seemed "unnatural." I'm thinking "solvent" may be the best way to describe it!!!

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Heidjer" wrote:
    As far as I know it's a solvent smell that he refers to. It's very much a point of taste and sensitivity whether it's a flaw or a bonus. I don't mind it, but I'm not very sensitive to it - many bourbons that some say reek of glue, I can barely detect it and find the whisk(e)y quite enjoyable.

This is quite correct - many people seem to associate bourbon with that smell... this might be the reason why so many malt fans in Europe seem to be so adverse to bourbon... which is all to their disadvantage, as far as I'm concerned...:wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    schnazola liked that
  • Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

I guess most people refer to a bit "nastier" glue. Definitely transparent and highly fluid, not white, viscous stuff like wood glue, which doesn't have such an intense smell. But as Heidjer said, "solvent" would be a good way to circumscribe that smell.

schnazola liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thank you for asking. Yes, I mean this solvent aroma. There are people out there, who really love that smell. I sometimes find it interesting - sometimes excellent - but sometimes also weird and disturbing. Very difficult to tell.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    schnazola liked that