Here are some things you should consider before making any serious investments in whisky.
- What sort of return on investment are you hoping for?
- How will you sell your collection?
- What amount of commissions and fees are you expecting to pay?
- How will you transport it to the buyer or auctioneer, and what will the cost be? Who will bear the risk of shipping?
- Have you allowed for the inevitable bottles in your collection that will *not* appreciate in value that much?
- Have you included storage expenses, insurance premiums, and your opportunity costs of collecting?
- Have you factored in capital gains tax? You can't make a ton of money and then hide it from Uncle Sam.
- After figuring out your net returns, have you considered how that money might have performed if invested elsewhere?
Most people don't think about this stuff.