Buchanan began his whisky career in 1879 as a London agent,
but it didn't take long for this savvy businessman to venture
out on his own. He soon produced Buchanan Blend which became
relied upon by many for its consistency and quality. It was
marketed in a black bottle with a white label and customers
simply started referring to Buchanan Blend as "that black
and white whisky". Before the name of the blend was officially
changed, another name was introduced. James won a contract
to supply the House of Commons with whisky, hence the short-lived,
new name of Buchanan's House of Commons Scotch Whisky.
Although the name of the whisky had changed, it was still
in a black bottle, it still portrayed the simple white label
and customers still asked for the "black and white whisky".
Buchanan - an animal lover - added the black Scottish terrier
and the West Highland white terrier to the label and it was
adopted as the brand's motif. It is still used today and is
one of the world's most famous trademarks. Black & White
Blended Scotch Whisky was first produced in 1884. It contains
60-65 percent grain whiskies including Port Dundas and Cameronbridge.
James Buchanan had earned his place among the most important
people in the world of whisky - Dewar and Walker. Buchanan
and Dewar merged companies in 1915. The following year, they
became part of Distillers Company Limited (DCL) which had
then become United Distillers & Vinters (UDV) in 1987.
The brand is now owned by Diageo.