1827 at the age of 19, George Ballantine opened his first shop
and just a few years later in 1831, he opened his second store
in Edinburgh. He eventually moved to a more impressive location
in Glasgow and focused on wholesale whisky. In 1895, Queen Victoria
awarded Ballantine's the Royal Warrant which is the ultimate
endorsement of the company's prestigious reputation. Ballantine's
Finest was developed some 15 years later and emerged as the
company's primary export.
It was in 1937 that the company received its Grant of Heraldic
Arms, recognising George Ballantine & Son as an "incorporation
noble on the Noblesse of Scotland". The heraldic arms that
decorate the Grant appear on every bottle of Scotch whisky to
Extensive maturation warehousing was developed at Dumbuck
near Dumbarton, and Willowyard near Beith in Ayrshire. And,
in 1977, a few miles from Dumbarton, home of the company's headquarters,
Europe's most advanced blending and bottling plant was opened
The Ballantine's range is the most comprehensive range of quality
blended scotch whiskies available anywhere in the world. Ballantine's
is established as a major global brand and is the best selling
Scotch whisky in Europe. It is also one of the five best selling
blended whiskies worldwide. Every second, two bottles are sold.
The Ballantine's range of blended Scotch whiskies has gained
the highest number of awards and trophies in international competitions.
In 2005, the company became part of the global conglomerate
now called Chivas Brothers LTD, which is part of the global
French wine and spirits company - Pernod Ricard.